Monday, September 22, 2008

God's Loving Arms


So, the other day we took the boys to a thingy that was going on outside of town. When we left, we decided to do a little exploring and took a country road we'd never been on before just to see where it took us. When I got home, I was checking my email and saw an article in my local Yahoo News feed about a man who died after a motorcycle accident on that very road the day before. I thought that was an odd coincidence, being that until about 2 hours earlier I didn't even know the road existed. Later that night, I was online again and learned the man's name. I had no idea who he was, but knew some people with the same last name from my church and city choir. It made me wonder if they were related, and today I found out they were. He is the son of our former church president, and family (nephew, grandson) to the folks in my choir. He was 25. The whole thing just blows my mind, and it gives me a heaping dose of perspective on my current issues with Jack.

Speaking of that sleep deal, I want to say thanks to the ladies who left such comforting words about our situation. I know we'll get through it eventually. We actually went through the same thing with our first son (though it was very different at the same time because it didn't make him fussy at all, isn't it funny how that works?) Anyhow, he is fine now and I know Jack will be too. I'm just thankful that I have them both here to hug and love every day.

Anyhow, on to the card. I made this card for Jerry, the young man's father (aforementioned former church president), and his family. I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through right now. I've had this church stamp sitting on my desk for a few weeks now, because it's actually a Christmas stamp and I've been waiting for the muse to strike so I can make some Christmas cards with it. Well, that hasn't happened, but as I sat there wondering what I would do for this card, it hit me to use these two stamps together. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.

So what do you think? Is the church too wintry? I tried to play down the snow around the edges as much as possible. Did it work?

Details:
Stamps: Church (??), Sentiment (??) (I can check on either if you're interested)
Ink: Close to Cocoa
Paper: Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, Basic Grey DP
Other: Tarnished Brads

post signature

20 comments:

Dani said...

What a terrible tragedy. So sad. Your card is beautiful and doesn't look Christmasy. Great job.

Kimmie said...

NO, I think this card is perfect. What a terrible thing to happen. I think the stamp and sentiment together is absolutely stunning and would love to know who makes them when you get a moment.

Debby said...

It is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't change a thing.

Anonymous said...

The card is beautiful. I love how you put the picture and verse together. It definately does not look like a winter picture. I also would like to know who makes the verse stamp. Thanks for sharing. Terry

Holly Young said...

Sarah, I think the card is just lovely and doesn't look wintery or Christmassy at all. It's a lovely verse. So sorry for the family.

Lorie said...

Oh, my gosh it is gorgeous! You are very sweet for making and sending a card!

Katie Skiff said...

that is a wild story. So glad you are able to share such a beautiful card!

Mandy said...

How sad! I think your card will be perfect. I didn't think "winter" at all!

Jennifer Love said...

It is a beautiful card. I don't think it is too wintery at all.

Sara (Chicago Girl) said...

I think it is a great card. I would never have guessed it was a Christmas stamp unless you mentioned it. I love the color and it works so well with the saying. Thanks for sharing.

Catherine said...

oh no, not at all... this is so beautiful Sarah =)

Christi Flores said...

This is amazing Sarah!!!

ChrissyM said...

What a terrible thing to have happen. Your card is gorgeous and doesn't reflect anything christmasy at all.

Sue from Oregon said...

Very classy.

Debby said...

BTW. Please visit my blog. You have been tagged my dear.

http://debbysstuff.blogspot.com/

Erin Burke said...

Stunning card Sarah...you are very talented.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful card. I would love to know where you got both stamps.

Kim said...

Your card is gorgeous and doesn't look christmasy at all! I heard about that accident down by you! Sending my prayers for the family! I can't imagine what they are going through! My brother is that same age and drives a Harley, which reminds me to be thankful to God that he watches over my bro!
You made the family a beautiful card!
Hope your sleeping issues with jack are getting better!
Hugs~ Kim

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings said...

Your card is beautiful and will be appreciated. What a sad, sad story. Thanks for visiting and leaving me a comment about the Inkadinkado birds...I really appreciate it. I'd be happy to share some images if you'd like. I got mine at a local scrap store...www.stampincat.com.

Elaine M said...

I would like to know who makes the church and sentiment stamps you used on this beautiful card. It's just perfect
mtn.moven.faith@comcast.net

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips