Thursday, December 18, 2008

Chocolatey Goodness


Here is the second of the two recipes I made for the baking exchange day I had with my girlfriends last Saturday. These are cake balls, introduced to me by Bakerella.

The recipe is super simple. Bake a cake - any variety you'd like. I chose dark chocolate. Make the cake according to the instructions on the box for a 9x13 cake. Allow the cake to cool, and then crumble the entire thing into a large bowl. Add a 12 oz container of frosting (I used a white cream cheese frosting), and mash it all together until you get a sort of doughy consistancy. It takes some muscle to mash a cake, let me tell you. Anyhow, then you form the dough into quarter(ish) sized balls. I used a spoon to get about the right amount of dough, and then rolled it into a ball in my hands. Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper and refrigerate to chill them. I recommend throwing them right in the freezer. That seemed to work the best for me. Melt some chocolate (I used semi-sweet chips, but you can also use the Wiltons candy melts), and dip the balls in the chocolate to coat. Return to cookie sheet, and cool until the chocolate has set. I sprinkled some jimmies on mine while the chocolate was still wet, but you could leave them plain, too.

I used one cake mix, two bags of chocolate chips, and one container of frosting. This made about 90 balls for me (Bakerella's website says it will make 40-50, but I think she's underestimating!). I think they taste best cold, so I've left mine in the back hall pantry (unheated). Hopefully at least a few of them will make it to Christmas! ha! :)

If you decide to try them, post a comment and let me know!

Sarah

post signature

18 comments:

Lorie said...

Holy Chocolate Batman! Those look absolutely, positively YUMMY!! You are more than welcome to send some my way girl! :o)

Kim Meineke said...

YUM! These look awesome! I'm moving on Saturday and have to manage to cook for Christmas at my sister's... I think these are right up my alley! TFS!

Til said...

I think I am going to try these today! Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Laurel said...

Something that looks that good and is that easy, is a must try!

Lesley said...

These look yummy! I do something similar called Oreo Balls. 1 package oreos, 1 brick cream cheese, 1-2 T. milk. Mix, chill. Form 1" balls, chill again. Dip in white candy coating. Yum!

Lisa Foster said...

Yummo!!! These look great...and so pretty! I did the Oreo thing...mine don't look that pretty! What's your "dipping" secret?
I made those pretzel thingies you had on here last week...MMM good! And gone...guess I'll have to make more! Thanks again!
Oh, DH said, Thank You" too.

Gina Lindsay said...

Ohh, I am going to have to try those, they look wonderful!

Chrissy D said...

Ohhh yummm - looks wonderful. I put my sweets in the freezer and that seems to slow me down wfrom eating them. LOL

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Mmmm....those look really good! I like the multi-colored sprinkles!

Emily said...

Oh, wow! Those look great! I was going to suggest what Lesley did with the oreos! That is really good. I dip them in regular chocolate though. It's also really good with thin mints girl scout cookies (they have some at walmart called grasshoppers that are pretty close).

i {heart} papers said...

Ha! Bake at 350 posted a similar post and she decided that cake balls wasn't a very nice term so she renamed them cake truffles. :)

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-ha-moment.html

maiahs_momma said...

I am going to run out my door as soon as my dh comes home from work, to go get the supplies to make these yummy sounding treats. Thank you so much for sharing this treat with us all, will let you know how they turn out.

Hugs,
catherine
www.mystampinggrounds.blogspot.com

ThePortman4 said...

Sarah gave me some for a cookie exchange. They are awesome!!! and all gone:( I will have to make some myself. Thanks Sarah!

Anonymous said...

These looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

Joan Ervin said...

Oh, my, a chocolate lover's dream!!! Thanks for the recipe...these sound wonderful!!!

Debby said...

Mmmmmm. Thanks for helping me get my Christmas baking done.

Loreen said...

I think may try these tonight. Thanks for the inspiration. About how long did these take to make in total?

Til said...

Hands down!!! These are fabulous!!! My husband couldn't keep his mitts off of them and practically ate all of them! This is DEFINITELY going in my recipe file! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips