Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holiday Pretzel Rings

I thought I'd share one of our favorite (and super easy) recipes with you today, since this is what I was working on tonight instead of stamping! I have no idea what these are officially supposed to be called, but I call them Pretzel Rings. You'll need the following ingredients (ring shaped pretzels, peanut m&ms, hershey kisses):



Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Arrange a single layer of pretzel rings on a baking sheet:



Place a Hershey kiss inside each ring:



Place pan in oven, and leave in for exactly 3 minutes. The chocolate should be kind of shiny like this when you take it out. If you leave it in too long the chocolate will re-set and not be pliable. It's the strangest thing.


Push a peanut m&m into the center of each kiss, pushing down enough so that the kiss pushes all the way out to all sides of the pretzel ring. When you push down, you might feel a little resistance at the bottom of a kiss or two where they didn't melt all the way through, but that's ok.



Once I have all of my m&m's in place, I move the pan to the porch so it can cool quickly. You could also stick it in the fridge or freezer if you live somewhere warm. I usually have two pans going at once. By the time the second pan is ready to go outside, the first pan is ready to come in. The candies are pretty easy to pop off the cookie sheet with a spatula.


I would not normally go out of my way for any of these three ingredients, but I love them when they're all combined. It's the perfect combination of salty and sweet. I made these for a cookie/candy exchange I'm doing with some girlfriends this weekend, but I bought another bag of dark chocolate kisses to make for us next week. Yum!

I used almost three bags of kisses (all but about 10 of them) to one bag of pretzels and that made roughly 200 candies.

If you decide to try it, let me know how you liked them. :)
Stop back tomorrow to see this month's Bellaholics Anonymous Sketch Challenge!

Sarah

post signature

34 comments:

Sue from Oregon said...

Yum, I have never seen these round pretzels before! I make this same idea with square grid like pretzels, striped hugs and plain M&M's. This year I am going to try it with the new candy cane kisses! Thanks for sharing!

Holly Young said...

Looks good Sarah!

Kimmie said...

Those look delish! I wish I was having a party I'd use them. But maybe I'll top off the christmas cookie tins with them. Hmmm....

bsgstamps4fun: Barb Gault said...

Great idea! Will have to try this. Thanks.

Javablustamper said...

WOW!! These pretzel things look great!! And easy, which is what I like!! I love the projects you have been working on!! Those ornaments are gorgeous!! Hope you and your family are well!! Take care!

Carolyn Mustopa said...

Oh Sarah, you are so evil!!! Gonna have to try these now.

Debby said...

Well that's darn clever. And they look so yummy. I am definately going to try these. I like anything easy. Cool.

Lisa Foster said...

MMMmmmm....Those look scrumptous!!! I'm definately gonna try some this weekend...I love all of those ingredients by themselves...I'll bet they're heavenly all together! Thank you for sharing this great idea.
Oh, and I think they're very pretty and festive too!

ThePortman4 said...

Sarah I know I will love them, Thanks.:) And I would go out of my way for the kisses and the M&M's. See you Saturday.

Kimberley said...

Sarah, genius idea! I will definitely be CASE-ing this idea! Thanks!

Dani said...

Ooo,yummy! Those look deliciously evil! How hot does the chocolate get? Meaning, could my boys help? They would love it. :)

Kristine said...

OH, I'm sooo going to have my girls make these for our ladies Christmas party on Monday!! THANKS for the recipe--I never wouldda thought to do this. :)

Brandi Wiggins-Côté said...

YAY! I love these! I'm a salty/sweet freak so these are right up my alley. Thanks for sharing, Sarah!

Brandi

Emily said...

Oh, wow! These look delicious!! I love sweet and salty stuff. Definitely gotta make these! Thanks for the recipe!

Mariska said...

This recipe sounds so yummie!! Unfortunatelly we don't have hershey kisses in The Netherlands I think... I'll have to ask my sister in law to bring a couple of bags along next time she visits the US for business. Thank you anyway for the recipe.

xxx
Mariska

Heidi Brawley said...

yum! i think i will have to try this too! sounds and looks yummy!!!! ~Heidi

Elaine M said...

Oh my goodness!!! Looks like an "you can't eat just one" goodie!! These are really dangerous to the waist line --- but ohhhhhhhhh so yummy

Vicki G said...

WOW!!! Those Look Fabulous!!!!!!

Lovin' your Blog!!!!


Vicki

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! What a fun recipe and so simple!! I could eat 50 of these no problemo!!

Danni said...

These look delish but I was just stopping by to say Congrats as I saw you made the Pink Cat DT!! How wonderful!!

Janna said...

I love this idea!!! How cute!! I am definitely going to give these a try!

Smiles,
janna

Becky Carafa said...

Man, these look great! And I can just imagine how they taste, what a great combo! TFS!

Mindee said...

Sarah~those look so yummy! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

These look so yummy! and easy too...I may have to go out and buy kisses.

Elizabeth said...

Yours look so yummy! I made a version of these last year for my son's class. I used the regular pretzel shapes with Rolos candies and plain M&Ms on top. They were delish!

Hugs!

Catherine said...

what a great little treats, my daughter will have so much fun making these :)

Lesley said...

Oooh, thanks! I'm always looking for new "tried and true" recipes to try. I just saw those round pretzels at the store and wondered what you would do with them! Now I know...

Lesley

Nelliebella said...

Those sound yummy. I've also made the pretzels with rolos and pecans! But, I have never seen circle pretzels. I'm going to be searching for them!

Danyel
aka Nelliebella
www.psychostamper.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Yum yum! I love these!
Hugs~ Kim

Noelle Bolstad said...

Those are super duper delicious! A friend of mine does them with the square pretzels that look like tiny little windows. I think she uses plain M&Ms, too.

ParaJessicaLegal said...

I tried this with the wheels pretzels and it turned out okay. Thank you for the idea. I couldn't find the rings either. I have seen them before but couldn't find them when I needed them. Imagine that! LOL Anyway, it turned out just fine wtih the wheels, so someone could try those too. Thanks again!

KT said...

You have made my holiday EXTRA merry! Thank you for sharing this clever treat with us!!!

Visit http://KTATMLO.SHUTTERFLY.COM for FREE monthly downloads

Cathy Spicer said...

Thanks for the idea, I just tried it! It was super easy and I think I'll do it with my godchildren as kids can easily help (it got a bit long unwrapping the wrappers). I did a few twists. I ran out of kisses befor pretzels so I made a pan of pretzels with Cheesecake Kisses (no M&M). Wow, they are awesome. The crunch and salt from the pretzels put it over the edge. I also did a pan of pretzels with Candy Cane Kisses. I did some with M&Ms and some without on that one. Another home run. PLUS, it was just my style of 'cooking' - EASY! I did laugh as I learned not all pretzels are created in the same 'roundness'. I had a pile of rejects that would have been perfect for almond bark (if I had any). I opted to just save them for snacking. THANKS AGAIN!!

D C said...

We make these every year!! My 3 and 4-year-olds love to help unwrap the hersheys kisses. At our house, we mix it up with dark chocolate kisses and peanutbutter m&m's. They are fabulous! Love your pictures, too! We're actually making some right for a birthday party. Yum!

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips