Thursday, August 7, 2008

I've Been A Crab...


I won't go into a whole lot of details as to why, but I will tell you I made this card for my dh tonight. lol. Everything is fine, it has just been "one of those days" for about three days now. He actually thinks my cards are pretty cool, so I thought I'd make one for him to express myself rather than try to put it into words.

I bought this stamp when I visited the Creative Pals store in Milwaukee, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is owned by the gal who owns Whipper Snapper stamps. I love these stamps, and I love her store! I only wish I'd had more time to spend there, but the whole family (including dh, baby, toddler, Grandma and Great-Grandma) was waiting in the car so I had to be quick.

I seem to be on a button kick lately. I found a "Bag of Buttons" at Hobby Lobby yesterday by The Paper Studio and these buttons are from that bag (of about 200 buttons in varying sizes for $5). The crab is colored with my copics (YR65, R05, R08), and I popped his eyes and pincers up on dimensionals. I also added stickles to the sand - I love the grainy look that gives. The dotted paper is from Stampin' Up's Summer Fun pack, and it matches their Tart n' Tangy set that I used on yesterday's tin.

I drew the wavy black lines around the main image, then paper pierced over the top of each line to give the look of faux stitching in a random pattern. It's cute, but it would have been a better effect if I'd used a pen with a narrower tip so that the piercings showed up better.

Finally, I wanted to take a minute to answer some of the questions I got via comments on yesterday's post.

Holly was curious as to why I didn't like the SU! Rub-Ons... They were driving me crazy because the patterns were HUGE, and I only needed small pieces for those corners. The rub-ons themselves are very well made... to the point where it is very difficult to break the design into smaller bits if you need them for smaller projects. When you pull away from the paper to cut off the design, the rub on keeps pulling away from its backing which is kind of wasteful and messy. If they were smaller designs, I think I would have been happier. I'll use them again, but it might not be the first thing I reach for if I have another small project.

Kristine wondered about what was inside the tin... It was filled with Lemonheads (they came with the tin).

Courtney asked where I got the tart-y stamp set.... The lemon stamp that I used on the tin is from Stampin' Up!'s Tart n' Tangy set. The sentiment is a single stamp that was sold by Stampa Rosa, the company that created House Mouse before it was sold off to Stampabilities. I believe Stampa Rosa went out of business a few years ago, but the stamp may now be available through Stampabilities - I'm not sure.

And finally, my new SU! catalogs came today! Woot! I noticed that the Arachnophobia wheel I used on my Witchybella card is in there! I had some questions about where I got those spiders, and I thought the wheel was retired but it was not! Yay! Now you can make your own creepy crawlers! :)

Details:
Stamps: Crab (Whipper Snapper)
Ink: Adirondak Pitch Black
Paper: Tangerine Tango, Riding Hood Red, Summer Fun DP
Other: Buttons (The Paper Studio), Black Grosgrain Ribbon (Stampin' Up!), Copic Markers, Stickles, Stampin' Dimensionals, Cuttlebug Embossing Folder

post signature

14 comments:

Holly Young said...

Sarah, this card is really cute, funny, and sweet. I'll bet your DH loved it. Who wouldn't be a little crabby in this heat though?!
I like your hand doodled frame! I hadn't thought of piercing after you do the lines! DUH!
Thanks for answering the questions!

Courtney said...

OMGosh! This is just too funny! I love it!

Thanks for the info on where to find the sentiment. I love puns!

ginapier said...

This is the best stamp/card! I love it!

Debby said...

Oh My Gosh this is so Adorable! Did you write the sentiment or is it a combination of stamps? Holding my breath that my catalog arrives today! So much fun isn't it?

Dani said...

Oh my word! This is so awesome! Too funny!

Sara (Chicago Girl) said...

Well, I had a bunch of comments and for some reason I messed up the post. Here is the summary. I love the cuttlebug on the base of the card, I alwys think it needs to be on a layer, but it looks great. I love the wavy border, I am too typeA/OCD to think of doing a curvy border. I love it and I'm sure your dh did too!

*crosses fingers that this actually posts this time*

Lorie said...

Oh, this is just adorable! I need to make one of these for my DH...unfortunately for him! :o)

Kristine said...

Awwww...well this is a good way to show him you're sorry!! :) Maybe lighten the mood for a while too--bet he smiled at it, huh?

LOVE your buttons on the card--and your wavy lines!!

Abra Leah Cross said...

I not only love this card (and that fantastic stamp), but I think what's even more awesome is that you took the time to make a card for your man. I think we crafters often forget to reward those closest to use with little pieces of our creativity. I'm sure he will keep it in his sock drawer forever. :)

Catherine said...

oh i just love stamps from whipper snapper and your card is just way too cute!

Katie Skiff said...

Cuuutttee! I love this card. I hope your DH did too. I've had to make those cards once in awhile too! LOL...
COngrats on being Taylor's pick...I can't wait til tomorrow! I also liked your tart-y gift! You rock!!

Vicki said...

Oh wow! This is too cute! I lived in Maryland for 17 years and this card would never stay on a shelf! Crabs are huge in that state!

Michelle (aka mybelle101) said...

Sarah, this is *so* adorable! You seriously rocked the Copics on this coloring job!

I know exactly what you mean about having 'one of those days' for 3 days in a row! lol...maybe I should borrow your stamp ;) Or, even better: go find my own!! :D

Amanda said...

This is so cute! The coloring is AWESOME and I love all those buttons!!!

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips