Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Double Standards


by Judith McNaught

I read McNaught's Once and Always last summer, and really enjoyed it. Since then, I've picked up a few more of her books here and there as I've seen them at rummages for cheap but they've just been stacking up. When I finished Joshilyn Jackson's Gods in Alabama last week, I decided to start this book.

Here is a brief synopsis:
The ruggedly handsome president of Global Industries handled his business the way he handled his women -- with charm, daring and ruthless self-control. A man used to the very best, Nick hired Lauren Danner, and assumed the proud beauty would soon be another easy conquest. But Lauren's flashing wit and rare spirit dazzled him -- and slowly, against his will, he was intrigued, challenged -- and in love.

Yet Lauren was living a lie, a charade that became more dangerous with every passing moment. Trapped in a web of deceit, she fought her growing love for Nick. Her secret could destroy his fragile trust -- and the promise of life with the most compelling man she had ever met!

What can I say? Well, for starters... I wasn't impressed. The book is 310 pages long. I read 236 pages before learning anything of the history of the main (male) character. Not cool. Once I knew his history I was able to understand him better, and enjoyed the story... but by then it was just too late. Everything seemed rushed in the last 80 pages or so, which was kind of disappointing. It was an easy read though, which I guess is why I stuck with it. You kind of need a no brainer when a good portion of your reading time comes at 2am in a semi-lit darkness.

Anyhow, if you're thinking about reading this - maybe think again and reach for Once and Always instead. She did much better with the historical fiction than the simulated business empire.

post signature

No comments:

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips