Friday, October 17, 2008

Howdy Partner!

I think I've mentioned a time or two how much I enjoy participating in the various challenges that are always being issued out there in blog land. Of all the challenges, I think the sketch challenges are my favorite, and of all the sketch artists, I seem to gravitate to Julee Tilman and Taylor VanBruggen the most. I just love their ideas, and I love to play along with their sketches because they are very unique. It has been some time since I've done a Mojo Monday sketch... well, let me rephrase that.... It has been some time since I've SHARED a Mojo Monday sketch! I've done a few of them that I didn't think were blog-worthy, but I'm happy to report that my mojo *seems* to be creeping back out of the shadows. Here is the sketch for this week:

As soon as I saw the sketch, I thought of Cowboy Billy, and this fun bandana paper I have been hoarding for just the right moment (purchased at Hobby Lobby, by The Paper Studio). Here is what I came up with:

Check out the edges of the Billy image. I thought it would be cool to burn the edges, to make it look like those old wanted posters. I held my image over the kitchen sink and started to bring my lighter thingy toward it when it occurred to me that the image had been colored with alcohol based ink.... A LOT of alcohol based ink. All of a sudden visions of the whole image going up in a puff of smoke and me being left eyebrowless filled my head. LOL. I decided to take my operation outside. At least then the house would be saved if the whole thing went up in blaze of glory. (Tangent.... how many of you are singing Bon Jovi in your head now that I said that?) In the end, it was fine. The flame didn't get away from me, and I think it made for a cool little edge on my cowboy. :o) Here's a close-up:

Isn't Billy adorable? He is by Pink Cat Studio, but I bought him from Mandy over at Limelight Papercrafts. Be sure to take a look at her stuff - she always seems to have some kind of sale going, which is part of why I love her so much. ;o) hee hee.

Anyhow, I hope y'all like my little cowboy!

Photobucket

post signature

19 comments:

Catherine said...

Sarah, this is absolutely darling :)

Kimmie said...

I LOVE those burnt edges.

Laurel said...

Too cute, love the burnt edges! I have some blog candy, check it out!

Lorraine said...

this is adorable. that image is so cute. lovey our bandana paper nad the added rope. tfs

Lorie said...

This is too, too, too cute! I love the burned edge. You are so creative!

Holly Young said...

Oh Sarah, this is absolutely adorable. I love the lasso! I also like how you did the brads by the circle. Great card!
Did you win the ladybuds set?

Kristine said...

Hi Sarah!! THis is sooo CUTE! I say that soo much, but really, it's fabulous. LOVE the dp on there--it's perfect, and your rope too. =)

Kim said...

What a cute card...I love it! The burnt edges do make the card! You had me laughing thinking of you burning up your house b/c of a stamping project....that would so be me! I have already gotten shrink plastic on the carpet by my craft corner....and dropped numerous ink pads on the carpet...good thing the carpet is multi-colored...hubby can't even see where I drop them then! hee hee! Awesome card...great work!
Hugs~ Kim

Anonymous said...

Will your other cards' feelings be hurt if I say that this is my favorite? LOVE IT! He's just adorable :-)

Danni said...

You are brave. I don't "do" fire. LOL!
But the result is wonderful! Perfect card!

Melissa said...

Oh Wow!! I love your card! The layout is so fun and you did a fantastic job colouring the stamp. I'm glad that no one got hurt in the making of this card, lol!!
I'd love to add your card to my gallery if you want to email it to me :)

Dani said...

OMG! Cute, cute, cute! Fantastic burnt edges! At least you had the foresight to take it outside. I probably would have started my kitchen on fire before that occurred to me! LOL!

Debby said...

"Goin down in a blaze of glory!" Uh that would be me of course. And I don't play with fire cause I for shure would burn something up so I am so proud of you that everthing is intact and it looks fabulous! What a cute image. Cute cute cute! Did I say cute cute cute?!?

Melissa said...

Thanks for allowing me to post your card in my gallery!! I've saved it from your blog.
Hugs,
Melissa

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Darling card! I love the burnt edges. I think if I'd been doing it, the whole thing would have erupted in flames before I realized that alcohol based markers might be a hazard! LOL Thanks for playing my challenge! :)

Kathryn said...

ADORABLE -- Billy is the CUTEST -- I love how you created that rope -- fabulous idea! :)

Chrissy D said...

Ohhh GREAT CARD!!!! Love what you did with the sketch! You did a FABULOUS job coloring too Sarah!!!Did you get my e-mails?

Kari said...

Super cute card!! I love it!

Cheribella said...

You crack me up!!! and I absolutely love this card. I would never have thought to burn the edges of the paper for anything (probably because our house burned down in 2004)but the effect on this card is perfect.

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips